10 Minute Yoga Practice to Relieve Constipation
Performing yoga, especially poses targeting the core and hip region, can help to relieve constipation by increasing circulation and correcting interruptions in intestinal flow. This 10 minute yoga practice can be incorporated into your regular exercise routine or whenever you need some relief from intestinal blockage.
Yoga Squat into Reach
- Begin in a squat, with your hands at your heart and your heels on the floor with the toes pointed slightly outward.
- Breathe deeply, rocking gently back and forth to stabilize the pose.
- Remain still for two breaths, then on an inhale place the right hand on the ground in front of your right leg, tenting the fingers to give stability.
- Exhale as you open your chest to the ceiling, reaching towards the ceiling with the left arm.
- Take a full inhale at the extension, then exhale to return to center.
- Repeat with the left arm in front of the body and exhaling the right arm and chest to the sky.
- Sit back on the heels and close your eyes. Focus on the breath as you rest your palms on your thighs.
- If needed, place a pillow between the heels and your seat.
- Inhale fully, then exhale loudly through a wide mouth as you tap the tops of your thighs with your palms three times.
- Repeat for 3 breaths.
- From a seated position, with the feet flat on the floor and knees bent, lean back to rest on your hands.
- Point your fingers towards your seat. Inhale, and on the exhale release the knees to one side, keeping your feet in contact with the floor.
- Inhale to center, then release the knees to the other side on the exhale.
- Continue this exercise for up to a minute. This exercise gets the circulation flowing in the intestinal area, so it is best done not directly after eating.
To finish the practice perform Twist in Sukhasana found in Daily Yoga Routine for Sciatica Pain.